One of our customers accidentally dropped his iPad from a train, in the middle of remote woodland. Though recovered, the iPad was severely damaged and all the data was lost.
Our specialist engineer reviewed the device to evaluate the damage and recovery possibilities. He found:
- the digitiser was destroyed, so the iPad did not respond to touch
- the second screen layer comprised of the LCD (which displays all the content) was ruined
- the chassis, battery and the lightning connector were also damaged
- the electronics were playing up and the iPad was rebooting itself every two minutes giving the engineer only a few-seconds window to perform the recovery between the reboots!
- Fortunately the motherboard was actually in a fairly good condition, facilitating the recovery of the data
After undergoing specialist work by our engineer, we were able to recover 100% of the data.